Wood PLA is an exciting filament that has grains of wood within. The surface print will be textured and not smooth. It can however be sanded back to give it a shinier finish. Apart from printing “Groots”, many use this filament to print;
- Pens (shell)
- Decorative jewellery, broaches, earrings etc.
- Faux wood objects
- Musical instruments. Please note that you will not be able to produce a Stradivarius finish.
- Cosplay weaponry
This filament still retains the same strength as PLA however slightly less rigid. It is also no more abrasive to a brass nozzle than the regular PLA.
The filament weights about 10% less than regular PLA, which means you get an extra 10% in length for the same 1kg roll. :-)
An important note about Wood is that longer exposure to heat in the extruder/hotend tends to decompose the filament.
Here are some tips and pointers to printing with our Wood PLA;
- Best to print it a little faster than you normally would with PLA. Printing at say 55-70mm/sec can be quite useful to avoid decomposition.
- Printing profiles are like PLA for your printer.
- A raft is not necessary however if you must, then make sure you are not printing the raft too fast.
- This is the best wood filament I have ever purchased Review by Greg
Hi guys, a big thank you for your wonderful WOOD PLA. It is an awesome product, I have tried a number of different versions of this product and yours is the absolute best. Well done.
The colour is great (it actually looks like wood not plastic with wood additive), there are no problems with it sticking to the bed and it’s just damn easy to create a great wooden model with.
Postproduction is easy to, I just send it with some to 200 grit to take out any lines then give it a going over with 400 grit wet and dry (wet) to get a soapy smooth finish. Once again well done, keep up the great work, I’m glad to have found an Australian supplier who also delivers so quickly, awesome!
(Posted on 14/07/2018)