Wood PLA is an exciting filament that has grains of wood within. The surface print will be textured and not smooth. It can however be sanded back to give it a shinier finish. Apart from printing “Groots”, many use this filament to print;
- Pens (shell)
- Decorative jewellery, broaches, earrings etc.
- Faux wood objects
- Musical instruments. Please note that you will not be able to produce a Stradivarius finish.
- Cosplay weaponry
This filament still retains the same strength as PLA however slightly less rigid. It is also no more abrasive to a brass nozzle than the regular PLA.
The filament weights about 10% less than regular PLA, which means you get an extra 10% in length for the same 1kg roll. :-)
An important note about Wood is that longer exposure to heat in the extruder/hotend tends to decompose the filament.
Here are some tips and pointers to printing with our Wood PLA;
- Best to print it a little faster than you normally would with PLA. Printing at say 55-70mm/sec can be quite useful to avoid decomposition.
- Printing profiles are like PLA for your printer.
- A raft is not necessary however if you must, then make sure you are not printing the raft too fast.